Author Topic: MAGIC Board  (Read 517 times)

f16simman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
MAGIC Board
« on: July 06, 2017, 06:53:48 AM »
Introducing the new MAGIC board.  Smaller than a CORE, thinner than a MICRO its everything you want in a main board.  Built on the MilesTag protocol and a New PIC18f2550 with USB for Upgrading Firmware.  This new marvel will save you space and give you more options.  Why waste a gun to run in Ref mode when all you need to do is make your own CommandIR to program them all.  Just build your box and flash the CommandIR firmware into the MAGIC and in minutes your on your way.  We are also including other Options as well. Core Compatible firmware, Micro compatible firmware, and a few more.  All in a single board.  Have a look at the Draft manual.
give some feedback and make your orders.  It's MAGIC time....
"Courage is fear holding on a minute longer."

— General George S. Patton

finalis

• View Profile
Re: MAGIC Board
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 10:59:36 AM »
Hi f16simman,

- What about the CommandIR firmware you mentioned, will that be free for all who purchase the MAGIC system?
- Is the Firmware compatible with the score pods for the commercial MilesTag system? And when are you planning an update to that scoring software to fix some bugs?
- Is the limitation to 40 players permanent or are you planning to "unlock" more players?
- How does the sound programming work on the MAGIC boards?

Best,
finalis

Pingvin

• Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 12:26:27 AM »
PIC18F2550 IC PIC MCU FLASH 16K  SRAM 2К 28SDIP
US $3.98
https://ru.aliexpress.com/item/IC-PIC18F2550-I-SO-PIC18F2550-SOP28-Microcontroller-MCU-NEW-Good-Quality/32645234191.html?spm=a2g0v.10010108.1000016.1.YfMdrr&isOrigTitle=true

STM32F103RET6 LQFP64 IC 512 Kbytes of Flash memory SRAM 64K
US $3.11
https://ru.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-10pcs-STM32F103RET6-LQFP64-IC-256-to-512-Kbytes-of-Flash-memory-Best-quality/1936840308.html?spm=a2g0v.10010108.1000016.1.heXhQk&isOrigTitle=true

Why are you so "hold on" for these PICs?
Go to the light side of the force! :-)
Believe me - once you try the ARM, you will not be back!
You can with a clear conscience to establish a serial production of "ARMada" and sell.
The firmware source codes are open (and hardware too).

https://github.com/PingvinOpenTag/ARMada-lasertag-system

We can work together on them.

I still have a lot of things "in the stash" ... ;)
 It's MAGIC time...(C) :D

« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 02:41:47 AM by Pingvin »

f16simman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 11:35:32 PM »
Magic boards are now on sale.   Yes commandIR will. E free as a download for magic boards as well as a few more.  Magic should be compatible with score system will complete that shortly.  Name the bugs in scorepod and will tell if fixed.  Sound programming will work just like micro and core. 

f16simman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 02:30:26 PM »
Here is a link to the YouTube videos for the magic board.       https://youtu.be/FWl8SEFZ9Is

MilesTag

• www.MilesTag.com
  • Administrator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Laser Tag Parts
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 05:27:04 PM »
Hi Pingvin

When I get a break I will look at your system.  Sounds very interesting.  Right now I cannot consider converting to an open source project.  I have thought about it a lot, but there are still too many commercial customers and competitors out there that would quickly cut off an income source if they had my code.   :-[

That's part of the reason that we designed the MAGIC with a secure bootloader.  So we can provide firmware updates and alternate firmware for FREE without risking our source code.  I can post the new firmware for customers to download and it will only work on our boards.  (There are already thousands of clones of the older MilesTag board designs on the commercial market that I get no percentage of.)  We want to sell the boards, not the firmware.  For customers, it means a single board design for various functions.  Tagger, Referee, Controller, Score Capture.  Think of the CommandIR ($400.00) and the Score Pod ($675.00).  This is fine for a commercial field, but for hobbyists or smaller businesses that are willing to build the enclosure themselves, they can see quite a cost savings with a MAGIC board and the appropriate firmware.

Also, we want to move some of our focus away from the "Finished Product" offerings and more on the board-level products.  It can be very time-consuming to hand-build and test each Score Pod or CommandIR and detracts from what we REALLY want to do (develop more cool stuff).

I will still offer the products for the Pro market.  Most of them don't have the time or resources to DIY everything.   I fully understand that time is money (as it is for us, which is why the finished products do cost more - due to the hand labor).

Jim

Pingvin

• Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 06:44:05 AM »
Hi Jim!
What is it?
CommandIR ($400.00) and the Score Pod ($675.00)

Protecting the code from copying to stm32 is easy!
Firstly, there is a bit of protection against reading the firmware.
If it is set to "1" - all flash memory will be erased when trying to read the contents of the controller's flash memory.
And so that they could not disassemble the binary firmware file, I wrote a bootloader with encryption.
In addition - I can do so, one hundred particular binary file will only work on one single controller, it will be bound to its UID.
But I decided to follow the path of an open project.
I have nothing to lose.

The Armada has a very rich periphery!

It is easy to implement any functional - all of the above + a lot more than that, for example, managing ribbons of smart diodes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LhttfF-OV0

Give me a case, I'll do a couple of days like this:

« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 11:53:44 AM by Pingvin »

yellowfin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 11:20:22 AM »
I wonder if can I still use the standard 8x2 Standard lcd display, used in my REVG boards?
and...Is the magic board full firmware compatible with RevG with MT 5.40 or 5.42 firm boards too?
Thank you!!!

f16simman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2017, 07:02:40 AM »
The MAGIC is compatible with the latest version 5.64 and should work with previous versions the codes did not change, Only difference is name list. I will have to confirm that.  No you cannot use the standard 8X2 it is parallel not SPI.  I am looking for a sub or a workaround.  will let you know in a bit. 
Joe

Pingvin

• Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2017, 08:00:17 AM »
In the project "Ascetic" the screen is connected to the SPI through the shift register.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnDBNNrvoAI
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 08:31:02 AM by Pingvin »