Author Topic: IR Laser for airsoft guns?  (Read 549 times)

USJTF6

• View Profile
    • Email
IR Laser for airsoft guns?
« on: January 30, 2017, 03:27:02 PM »
Hello All,

My name is Brad Crawford and I am the CEO of The Tactical Experience an American based virtual shooting range and VR entertainment center out of Kansas. It’s an honor to talk to such knowledgeable people here today on Laser tag systems.

http://www.tacticalexperience.com/home
https://www.facebook.com/TheTacticalExperienceLLC/

I have a special project for my company we are working on and it entails using IR lasers that work with our virtual range systems in airsoft guns. We currently have the MILO Range training system so all of the hard ware for the laser system in IR is here.

The Lasers used in this system use a 780NM laser operating on 4, 14, 24, 34MS and are modified to work off a 3V power source. I would like to have something small enough to fit down a muzzle of an airsoft gun and to possibly fire off of vibration from the gun itself. Hardwiring the trigger to use as a device is also possible.

Any thoughts or suggestions from the community?

Thanks,
Brad

ezio

• View Profile
Re: IR Laser for airsoft guns?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 08:58:01 AM »
Hi Brad --

Without knowing exactly how the MILO Range system works, I'm not quite sure what you're asking for here.  You mentioned you already have the laser you need to use with the MILO equipment, so apart from the laser and its power supply what do you need to fit into the muzzle of an airsoft gun?

USJTF6

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 12:53:42 AM »
I appreciate the response, let me Elaborate.

Lasers used in this system use a 780NM IR laser operating on 4, 14, 24, MS wavelengths.

They work off a 3V power source.

I would like to have something small enough to fit down a muzzle of an airsoft gun and to possibly fire off of vibration from the gun itself. Hard-wiring the trigger to use as a device is also possible.

My goal is to have a laser system made by me to operate on this system with minimum cost.

Does this clear it up?
Brad

ezio

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 09:11:05 AM »
I appreciate the response, let me Elaborate.

Lasers used in this system use a 780NM IR laser operating on 4, 14, 24, MS wavelengths.

They work off a 3V power source.

I would like to have something small enough to fit down a muzzle of an airsoft gun and to possibly fire off of vibration from the gun itself. Hard-wiring the trigger to use as a device is also possible.

My goal is to have a laser system made by me to operate on this system with minimum cost.

Does this clear it up?
Brad

Not really.  You just repeated your initial post almost word-for-word.  I'm trying to figure out what you're trying to build apart from the equipment you already have.  You mentioned that you already have the hardware for the MILO Range system.  If that is so, then you would have all the components you need to put into the shell of an airsoft gun.  Maybe you should explain a little more about what you mean by the "MILO Range hardware".  Does this mean guns to shoot, or targets that receive the signals?  And what do you mean by a laser system made by you?  If you already have the MILO Range system, why would you need to make something different? 

bardak

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 05:22:11 PM »
Sorry for my English.
As far as I understand he wants to find some optical system (tube with lens) that can be installed into the 6mm muzzle of airsof gun.
And he wants this system to be triggered from airsoft gun recoil vibration.
Is that right?
I don't think, that it is possible because most of IR emitters have large emitting angle.
It is not efficient to install them into airsoft 6mm muzzle.
Only deactivated guns for taggers, only hardcore!
http://lasertagoutdoor.com

USJTF6

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 05:12:48 AM »
Yes sir,

Problem is there are plenty of 780NM lasers out there operating on 3V. The issue is we are looking for 780NM IR lasers for the following millisecond pulses:

1) 4 MS Pulse

2) 14 MS Pulse

3) 24 MS Pulse

If they can not be programmed independently what do you suggest we purchase to make this possible?

As stated we haves some awesome software but I am not willing to pay 550$ US for each weapon diode.

So the questions are is MS pulse a special thing or can we do this in house?

A few drop ins for our company :)

https://www.facebook.com/TheTacticalExperienceLLC/

https://www.facebook.com/pg/TheTacticalExperienceLLC/videos/?ref=page_internal

berk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • funwithelectrons.blogspot.com
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 06:46:54 AM »
You cannot buy laser diodes with a specified pulse length. This would need to be done with a timing circuit, probably a micro controller. Also understand that all the IR sensors expect a modulated IR signal, typically 38kHz or 56kHz. Any laser
you find must also be capable of being modulated at these frequencies.

I am not a lawyer, nor is this legal advice but:
Lasers are dangerous and would need to be Class 1 as a maximum. Before you could go anywhere near the public with a laser based system it would need certifying at an approved test house ($1000s).

Any low cost diode you get from China could be rated at, say 1mW at the wavelength you expect but a look around youtube shows invariable they output much higher power levels at other wavelengths.

This is why the laser tag community actually uses IR diodes.