Author Topic: Game: Oddball  (Read 1951 times)

mstrduff7

• View Profile
    • Email
Game: Oddball
« on: December 28, 2016, 09:31:11 PM »
I am looking to make an Oddball game variant. Is there a way to make a mobile container that could give the player points by proximity. Like a mine that gives points instead of does damage? I wanted to make the taggers do no damage and the oddball does damage with the first person to die would be the winner, but I can't work out the details. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ezio

• View Profile
Re: Game: Oddball
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 11:42:09 AM »
I think you'll have to define what you mean by "points".  Do you mean register "points" as "kills"?  I didn't think MilesTag had any separate point system included other than just kills and times killed.

mstrduff7

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 11:11:14 AM »
I know, I'm at a loss. I was thinking of using the domination tube in a mobile casing, that way when you capture the ball you could get a point. It also has the timer countdown function, but you would be limited to a team game.

ezio

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 03:29:41 PM »
I'm not sure I follow entirely, but what you describe sounds similar in game play mechanics as the Tribes 2/Ascend game mode called Rabbit.  Basically, there is one "flag" on the field.  The one who holds the flag is one team, and everyone else is on the other team.  The player holding the flag earns points as long as he holds the flag, but as soon as he dies, stops accumulating points.  Whoever picks up the flag next then becomes the "rabbit" and tries to stay alive as long as possible. 

You could make something like this electronically using a simple RFID scanner and a microcontroller like an Arduino.  When the unit is being held by a player (who has their own RFID tag), the unit begins accumulating points for that player's ID.  As soon as the player is killed, they have to drop the unit, and another player can pick it up.  Basically, the point system would be entirely independent of the laser tag system.

This would be an interesting idea, but it could quickly become a scuffle of players trying to capture the unit initially, or whenever it's dropped.  Several people moving toward a single point at high speeds generally ends badly, but there may be ways to mitigate those problems. 

mstrduff7

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 03:40:35 PM »
Rabbit sounds exactly what I am looking for. Thanks for the advice.

mstrduff7

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Game: Oddball UPDATE
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 09:40:40 PM »
So I found a guy who successfully made the prop I was looking for. Straight out of Halo: The ODDBALL game variant. Just Like the forum suggested he used RFID scanners and tags to create the game. I need to work out a 22 person variant, but this is definitely what I am looking for.

http://imakeprojects.com/Projects/RFID-skull/

ezio

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 09:19:45 AM »
Ha!  That's great stuff!  Originally, I didn't think about the player who was "it" being prevented from shooting, but this actually makes perfect sense.  It would prevent the really good shooters from keeping the skull for too long.   Thanks for posting this!

TracyWilliams

• View Profile
Re: Game: Oddball UPDATE
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 02:16:02 AM »
So I found a guy who successfully made the prop I was looking for. Straight out of Halo: The ODDBALL game variant. Just Like the forum suggested he used RFID scanners and tags to create the game. I need to work out a 22 person variant, but this is definitely what I am looking for.

http://imakeprojects.com/Projects/RFID-skull/

Thank you so much, you helped me as well. I came here looking for something similar for my project, and I got it before even I could ask! This is a great community.