Author Topic: Buzzer/Electric probe addition to the Milestag kit.  (Read 1063 times)

Terrere

• Resistance is Futile! (If less than 1 ohm)
    • View Profile
    • Email
Buzzer/Electric probe addition to the Milestag kit.
« on: October 03, 2016, 01:21:52 PM »
Still new to the MilesTag arsenal and found the thread here.

It basically adds in functionality for a secondary add-on device that shocks or buzzes the player to let them know they were hit.  They don't show prototypes, but it made me think about how you could add this in and make it work. My idea wouldn't be for a shock, but a vibrating watch or chest piece that works like the rumble packs in console controllers.

Basically, I would add a selector switch, that works much like a MOSFET and attach in parallel to the Hit LED + line. Since these are often connected to vests and other tactical gear, adding a single line to your wrist/arm shouldn't be a huge deal.

I attached a poor drawing of what I think could work.  Basically, when the LED is on, the vibrator is running. I integrated their idea for a separate battery power for the addon.  This could be easily made modular by just putting a quick disconnect available at any local hardware store.

Something like this would work for the vibration motor.
The reason that this caught my interest is because one of the guys who is building a MT Core unit with me is interested in possibly making something like this.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 01:32:00 PM by Terrere »

Terrere

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Buzzer/Electric probe addition to the Milestag kit.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 03:23:09 PM »
Ok, so a basic look into this has either a logic gate similar to a 1:1 MUX on the HIT led signal line or a cheap 9-12V MOSFET rolling the voltage through.  There are low voltage rumble motors available, so it is possible to make a 1.5V-4.5V battery pack work as well.  I would just prefer to have more juice for more oomph.

Some talks with the guys and we're thinking of adding this into one of our harness setups to try it out.  It will be several weeks waiting for the parts, but I think we're going to use some of the tactical vest pockets as rumble holders so it shouldn't be difficult to build and test.

EDIT:
Decided to go the lower voltage motor route.  Went with 3V .23A motors.  Going to wire up a single unit with it when we meet up in early November since that's when I'll get the motors in.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 03:43:58 PM by Terrere »

Terrere

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 06:08:34 PM »
So, I've purchased ~$15 worth of parts from Ebay and Digikey to try this with.  Will update in a few weeks hopefully on whether this works.
Motors
Battery Packs
Analog Switches

Terrere

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 05:53:46 PM »
I misread the size I'd the motors I ordered. Instead of a 48mm motor, it's a 4x8mm motor. These things are tiny. Still going to play with them and try to rig up an easy rumble pack.