Author Topic: Programming Sound Chips Please Help  (Read 5432 times)

Madkat

• View Profile
Programming Sound Chips Please Help
« on: March 13, 2016, 12:13:16 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I have build a number of Rev H/J boards as per the eagle design files Jim has posted,

These all seem to work as i have been using these with other parts from bought boards,

I have been trying to program some blank sound chips ISD1790PY,  i have the serial adapter and the headphone adapter,

When i plug these into my laptop and run the sound editing program i have issues.

Firstly i can hear the sounds through the gun speaker when i try to play the sounds from the editor,
When i test the serial connection my sensor LED lights up and stays lit and you can hear white noise / static from the speaker.
If i program the ISD you hear all the sounds going through the system but the LED stays lit and doesn't flash as per each sound like it is meant to.
i have tried on a number of different boards and they all do different things, some are louder than others and some don't work at all.

I put a working ISd in the board and tried to play the sound from the ISD but got a constant lit LED and white noise / static.

Im sure this is something simple, but please can someone help,  has anyone come across this before?

Thanks

Gary

Australia

cjsoftuk

• Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Programming Sound Chips Please Help
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 01:11:00 AM »
Hi Gary,

It sounds like you are mostly there.  A few questions that might help us answer you better:

1) Are these boards you have designed yourself or ones that have been produced by Jim?
2) Which firmware version have you loaded onto the PIC18F2525/2620?

I don't think I've seen this before exactly the same, but I have seen weird behaviour programming sounds when something (and I forget what now) wasn't quite right....

Chris

Madkat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 03:12:39 AM »
Hi Chris,

These are boards i have made using the resources that Jim has Provided,

However i have  a board that i believe is a original one from Jim but this doesn't work programming either.

I have upgraded to the latest firmware, as per the site, but i have a number of older ones as well.

Thanks

Regards

Gary

Coolasice

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2016, 07:05:43 PM »
are you using a usb to serial adapter?  if it's not a true rs-232 adapter it will not work.  a usb to ttl adapter will not work (it inverts the signal).

Madkat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 08:26:52 AM »
No i am not using the USB adapter,

Just the Serial to Connector as per the instructions.

Madkat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 08:27:31 AM »
And a picture

Coolasice

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 11:03:40 AM »
No i am not using the USB adapter,

Just the Serial to Connector as per the instructions.

so your pc has a built in serial port?  you have the tx pin out of the pc connected to a resistor then to the rx input on the core board?  and the gnd connected to gnd?

Madkat

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 06:39:39 AM »
No my PC doesn't have a build in serial port, because thats old tech and i have a new PC, but my Laptop that im doing the programming from does funny enough, 

So to answer your questions Yes!

Coolasice

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2016, 01:55:10 PM »
just tried it with my pc and 10 new isd chips from china..  all 10 working properly.  recorded without issue..   not sure what you're doing wrong,  checked com port settings?

Madkat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2016, 12:35:19 AM »

Can you send me a picture of your set up,

I just looked again and you are saying "you have the tx pin out of the pc connected to a resistor then to the rx input on the core board?"

But my wiring diagram says the TX to the RX plug.

Coolasice

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2016, 06:23:16 AM »
That drawing is labeled incorret,  for direct board to PC use the following
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 06:24:53 AM by Coolasice »

Madkat

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2016, 06:46:21 AM »
That seems to be what i got from the looks of it.

Coolasice

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2016, 06:55:38 AM »
I don't have any pictures of my setup as it was all on a breadboard (waiting for PCBs from China) when I was recording sounds,  I don't have an external serial port on my PC so I was hooked up to the internal serial port header.

berk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • funwithelectrons.blogspot.com
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2016, 01:56:51 PM »
Are you sure the header you connected to in the PC was actually serial. I don't think I've ever seen a modern PC with a COM port, not for at least 8 years or so. Is it possible that the port is actually a USB header? How many pins does the header have? Should be at least 9 for a serial port. Are there any details on the PC PCB where the header is. A photo at this point would be REALLY helpful....
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 02:15:37 PM by berk »

Coolasice

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2016, 07:28:10 PM »
Berk, mine is not the problem,  I had absolutely no issues programming it,  madkat had the issue with his connection,  he is using an old laptop with com port