Author Topic: Changing some of the core board Sounds  (Read 8209 times)

Scorpy

• View Profile
Changing some of the core board Sounds
« on: March 23, 2011, 06:47:11 PM »
Jim - Can you list a step by step list of what I need and how to change the some of the sounds on the core board with my own sounds, good with tool etc but not clued up on the computer side of things.

What equipment do I need?   ???   Steve, Scotland

Life is Hard, Then You Die!

Harlequin

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Changing some of the core board Sounds
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 08:25:55 PM »
It is all in the manual Steve- you'll need a serial cable and an audio cable (details are on page 30) and a sound recorder software, which is available on the MilesTag Core page.

MilesTag

• www.MilesTag.com
  • Administrator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Laser Tag Parts
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 10:25:45 AM »
Also, the software will work best with Mindows Vista or XP.  May have issues on Win7.

Expect a bit of trial and error with the delay parameter and the volume setting on your PC.  Usually takes a couple passes to get it right, but there is really no limit to how many times you can erase and re-record the ISD chip.

Scorpy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 04:55:24 PM »
Jim / Harlequin thanks for that, but any chance of a link or photo of the cables your taking about, as I said good with tools lol. :-\
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 05:16:58 PM by Scorpy »

Scorpy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 12:56:12 PM »
Nudge; Can some show me a simple drawing and some links with photos/codes of the plugs/conectors required to change the sounds on the core board.    Tried looking for types but too many to bloody choose from on the net...

Jim / Harlequin thanks for that, but any chance of a link or photo of the cables your taking about, as I said good with tools lol. :-\

Harlequin

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 09:50:26 PM »
Scorpy, I'm really not sure that photos can help you much. The schematic is in the MilesTag manuals. One cable is simply two wires connected to a serial plug at one end and a 4 pin Molex socket at the other with a single resistor on one of the wires. The other wire is just a 2.5mm plug connected to a 2 pin Molex socket, with two 20k resistors if you want to get fancy and mix in both left and right channels. If not then just connect only the left or right channel.

Lasergame Berlin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 08:54:59 AM »
Currently we try to change some sounds asa well - we came quite a long way - we think we have the correct Audio connection.
also we use a USB->RS232 Adapter because modern Computer normally do NOT have an original RS232 plug ...
By now we have not added the 20k resistor - is this a MUST? If so, maybe that would solve the problem - but currently we can play back the sounds from the files on the computer - but cannot play back the sounds on the MT-Chip

so is it just the resistor? Or the USB adapter?

Suggestions?

Thanks

Ale

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 10:05:27 AM »
Same problem I posted here: post
I did not add the 20k resistor neither
I can play sound and hear them through the CORE speaker but I can not play sounds from the ISD because I assume they are not there, they have been not recorded
I'm not able to 'End recording'. When I push the button the firmware doesn't get out of recording procedure.

I connected RX and GND only, what about you?

Lasergame Berlin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 10:45:22 AM »
We tried it all now - with resistor, Rx and Tx in all possible options ... nothing worked - we are not able to access the chip to play the sounds that are stored in there.

POSSIBLY it is the board - as we have the Pro-boards from Hi-Tech and not the Core boards from Jim ... but we are checking this out as well as we have some of these here as well - wait another few Minutes - we are about to check that now.

Lasergame Berlin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 11:26:43 AM »
Okay, it WORKS on Computer with an original RS232

Adaptors do not work. Find an old PC

Ale

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 11:37:24 AM »
: ( ok... I know with an old rs232 ports it works, I did it already
Anybody still who knows how to make it work with usb port, if possible?
Thank you however

f16simman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 01:31:42 PM »
Make sure you have the correct drivers for the USB. Also make sure that they work with your OS.
If you have another type of USB adapter try changing else.  Please remember just
Because the OS chimes and sees the USB doesn't mean that the driver loads correctly.  Make sure also that the port is set up.  I think it should be. 9600 8, 1, none, XOR /xoff.  Should be the default.
Not sure about XOR   On my phone right now not on computer.  Have a go at this.  One last thing make sure it is showing up in port selection also. 
"Courage is fear holding on a minute longer."

— General George S. Patton

berk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • funwithelectrons.blogspot.com
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2013, 03:23:57 PM »
There are several handshake options. xon/xoff rts/CTS and none. You should make sure none is selected.
Tony

smokepeng

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2013, 01:53:04 AM »
In the original scheme uses a non-standard UART signal and the inverted (apparently, this is done to simplify the control cable). Therefore, if you use an adapter with a USB-UART TTL outputs (without conversion to levels RS232), it will not work. I used a home-made adapter for Silabs CP2021 and long tormented until they realized invert the signal. All at once earned.
Windows 7 64
However, the program is often "off", but you can use....

MilesTag

• www.MilesTag.com
  • Administrator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Laser Tag Parts
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2013, 12:40:41 AM »
I just updated the Sound Recorder Software (V8) and added a few new sound effects (they will be required for CORE V6.xx firmware, soon-to-release)  e.g. Shield Hit sounds and Zombie sounds.

http://www.lasertagparts.com/mtcore.htm

Also this new PC Software build should work fine on all WinXP, Vista and Win7/8