Author Topic: Sound quality, rate, frequency range?  (Read 3695 times)

Outlaw

• Developer
  • I abuse MilesTag
    • View Profile
    • GMSOG Airsoft
Sound quality, rate, frequency range?
« on: February 15, 2011, 04:15:16 PM »
I read through the manuals I could find but a question remains.  What is the sound quality level of the recording and playback?  On my project I would like loud crisp realistic sounds and although I might just have to wait and see I would like to know the actual numbers behind it so i can start developing sound sound effects that are withing the boards and my speakers capability.

MilesTag

• www.MilesTag.com
  • Administrator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Laser Tag Parts
    • Email
Re: Sound quality, rate, frequency range?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 05:07:23 PM »
The ISD17XX chips use a 12KHz sample rate.  Sound quality really depends on the type of sound.  As far as laser tag systems, or anything else with relatively small speakers, the sound quality is relatively good.  (I know that's very vague).  You are not getting CD or MP3 quality sounds, but the trade off is that the ISD chips respond quickly and are very inexpensive.  Hopefully they will remain in production for quite few years too.

You can find the reference manual for the ISD1700 chips on www.nuvoton.com

Outlaw

• Developer
  • I abuse MilesTag
    • View Profile
    • GMSOG Airsoft
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 03:15:27 PM »
Cool to hear, that basically covers what I was thinking, I wanted to be saving my sounds in the 'native' format they'd get recorded in so i could get as close to what I was hearing out of my computer vs what I'd hear back from the board. 

Captain Tuna

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 06:12:31 PM »
If you're into arduino i'd suggest you take a look at the arduino waveshield. They released the sorce code and schematics too so if you don't like the idea of buying their shield you can make your own at a very reasonable price.

I tested it myself and it responds quickly enough for sounds to be played exactly when you press the trigger, can't really say if they're more or less responsive than the ISD though.

You can play sounds up to 44KHz, it's much closer (same frequency but quality is lower) to pc sounds but not quite the same (at least on my setup), it would probably be better on a PCB (actually it would be, i tried it on a breadboard).  

Downsides: it costs a little bit more because you need to buy an SD card as audio files will be stored there, it requires more soldering and it may occupy more space: instead of an ISD chip you have a DAC chip (8 pin DIL) and a 5v to 3v chip (14 pin DIL) and an SD card socket (which i placed under the board instead of on top to save up some space).

Do not hesitate to ask more if you're interested!

Eugene

• View Profile
    • ehealthquest
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 06:14:56 AM »
I read through the manuals I could find but a question remains.  What is the sound quality level of the recording and playback?  On my project I would like loud crisp realistic sounds and although I might just have to wait and see I would like to know the actual numbers behind it so i can start developing sound sound effects that are withing the boards and my speakers capability.

I think you have to use 12KHz for your projects and i hope you like this sound and your project will attract many peoples.