Author Topic: USB sound programing  (Read 10310 times)

cybersimon

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: USB sound programing
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2014, 07:05:42 AM »
Hey guys,

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I'm having trouble with this same thing at the moment.
I've got my cheap USB-RS232 adapter cable, and I've made up a simple cable just like in the core manual for connecting to the board (using pins 5 and 3 on the DB9 connector), but I'm not able to get the LED to flash when the gun is placed in SFX Recording mode. The sensor LEDs just stay lit.
I'm using the 6.24 Standard firmware, and I've tried on two different PCs, one Win 7, one Win XP. Both times the drivers for the USB-Serial seemed to install and work fine. The COM port is coming up in the sound recorder application, but yeah no luck getting a connection unfortunately.
Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

berk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • funwithelectrons.blogspot.com
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2014, 12:38:17 PM »
Hi cybersimon
  A few things to check:
  • Is it a real  RS232 adapter. Some are TTL output and these will not work. Voltage between pin 5 (GND) and pin 3(TX) should be -9 to -12 Volts
  • Is the lead the right way around. I'm assuming you are using a core board. 9 way pin three needs to go to the pine on the core labelled '-', and pin three to the one labelled 'rxd'
  • Is the PIC software you are using the correct build for the clock frequency you have. This has caught me out before now.
  • I don't think you have got this far yet, but no sound from the PC will be heard if you get the audio cable the wrong way around.

Anyone else got any suggestions.

cybersimon

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2014, 04:47:07 AM »
Thanks heaps for the reply Tony.

I'm only getting about 0.02V across pins 3 and 5 on the USB-RS232 cable, so I guess that's the issue.
I was trying to use one of these:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/USB-to-RS232-9-Pin-Serial-DB9-Cable-Adapter-Converter-/300921901468

I think I'll grab one of these:
www.ebay.com.au/itm/USB-to-RS232-FTDI-FT232RL-FT232BL-Serial-DB9-Converter-Adapter-Win7-64-/110928749717
It actually mentions in the description:
"RS-232 data signals; TxD, RxD, RTS, CTS, DSR, DTR, DCD, RI, GND."

Do you think that should do the trick?

berk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • funwithelectrons.blogspot.com
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2014, 10:10:50 AM »
It looks OK. What you need to look for is RS232 compatible signals. Obviously I've not idea at all if that one will work for you! It sounds ok though.