Author Topic: Painfully loud sound.  (Read 3798 times)

Outlaw

• Developer
  • I abuse MilesTag
    • View Profile
    • GMSOG Airsoft
Painfully loud sound.
« on: July 18, 2012, 11:51:16 AM »
Hi,

I have a tagger design that is extremely space cramped.  I am maxed out for space with what I have currently which is
lens assembly
battery
umt

and the problem a 110db piezo siren

I want this siren to go off whenever the IR led is iluminated but I can get it to work.

I have tried relays triggered off the IR led current, and running directly off the current of the ir led

Ideally I would like it to sound just a little longer than the IR led.

The reason I want to do it in this specific way is that this tagger will be used by people who know absolutley nothing about laser tag.  In english I want 'do my ears hurt? yes. it fired then.' 

The sound effects package somewhat well but has caused confusion and I do want it to be loud enough that the shooter has that cringe moment and that the person being shot at has a good idea where it came from.

Any ideas would be appreciated on how to get this precise effect or something very similar.

Ale

• Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Painfully loud sound.
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 01:34:16 PM »
One easy thing if you didn't try yet could be to modify the loudness of the .wav sound files so that there is a big output volume difference between the firing sound and all the others sounds of package. Then you set the master general volume very high: all the sound will have a normal volume, the firing sound wil be louder. It's the opposite of what suggested in note3 of umt manual under 'umt sound programmer', about volume normalizer
Start lowering all the others sound because higher values for firing sound could result in distortion

zombiehunter

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 08:18:00 PM »
I'm really glad I read this post, from the topic subject, it almost sounded like you were unhappy with the volume because you thought it may be too loud. I am trying to achieve the same thing, except that I would like it loud enough that would be convinced it was real, just shy of ear protection. Maybe I need a bigger speaker :-)

kerfuffle

• push this button
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 06:00:29 PM »
I read your post.  THis is exactly what Im looking for. Did you find any speakers that will achieve the louder and maybe have a little more depth/bass . If you have specs on speakers, distributor , pleaselet me know    THanks Tom
Going to be an entrepreneur.

f16simman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 09:55:10 PM »
OK guys,
you can have this one for free,
first do what Ale said, (good suggestion)
I haven't looked but your cable going from the tagger to the head sensors should have 4 or more wires if not find a suitable sub that has 6.
tie the two extra into the speaker inside the tagger and run up to two piezo speakers attached to headband. (you need to attach)
now you have stereo and louder because its up by the ears.
let me know.
"Courage is fear holding on a minute longer."

— General George S. Patton